Sunday, February 1, 2015

Sunday, February 1, 2015

The last week has been a full week of work, trying to stay ahead of the game and travel. Whew!

As I wrote in my last post, I now work full time at Creme Cafe in Reno. Not only do I bake (a FABULOUS chocolate bundt cake recipe from www.food52.com. I did take the liberty however, of adding some chocolate ganache frosting to it for even more chocolate goodness.) but I am planning menu changes, formulating daily specials, and making up the catering menus monthly based on what is available with seasonal produce. AND, I am working to update and make contemporary the Creme website. So as you can see, there is a lot involved in this job, lol. The owner is in the process of hiring a CIA-grad chef to take over as the lead line cook, so I will be working with him in the future to update and stay on top of menu changes. I have also been trying to teach staff new techniques and showing them how to execute the new menu.

With all this going on (plus I still bake desserts for Gas Lamp Restaurant) suddenly it was time to leave for Maui and my two week gig as a private chef. All expenses paid, time in paradise and all I have to do is cook lunch and dinner? Who wouldn't go?!

I arrived on Maui on Friday, January 30. Slightly cloudy but some sun, lush landscaping and of course, the beautiful Pacific ocean all around. I got here about mid-day, unpacked and just relaxed! We had dinner at Merriman's (how nice not to have to cook on my first day here!)--wonderful as always. Good food, good wine, good company!

Saturday morning there was coffee and toast on the deck at the condo-gorgeous view here in Kapaula!

Then off to the beach. Such a peacefulness at this beach and not many people come here! You often see surfers out on the water, trying to catch a wave. Some are good, some not so good! But they all look like they are having a good time. We even saw a few whales jump out of the water, although it seems you have to keep a constant vigil in order to see this happen. This time of year the whales swim freely through the channels between islands. An amazing site, but hard to catch in a picture..

I sent the picture of my feet at the beach to my boss at GIC (nursing job)-she texted back that she wished she were here. :)

After the beach, it was time for shopping so I could begin preparing all the great meals I was brought here to create. Sometimes the produce here on Maui is the same as back in Reno, sometimes there are things here we don't even see back on the mainland. It is pretty cool to wander the isles, although I was told to "focus on the mission", lol.

Lunch was a Greek-inspired salad with chicken (from EatingWell.com), which instantly "beefs up" the meal and makes it more satisfying.

We only shopped for a couple of days so part of the afternoon was spent formulating a shopping list for Sunday so we could buy food for the rest of the week. We weren't sure how many people would be out shopping for Super Bowl Sunday! More fun to food shop when the place isn't packed. I also baked a coffeecake to last the week for what my employer calls "second breakfast", a joke but an apt description, lol.
A good old-fashioned coffeecake with cinnamon, sugar and nuts on top and in the middle of the cake. And just so you don't think professional chefs make mistakes--I forgot to add the sour cream to the batter, and didn't remember until I had it almost all in the baking pan!! I scraped it back into the bowl, added the sour cream and fortunately or unfortunately, had to mix in the first cinnamon sugar layer with the batter. It darkened the batter but the taste is still fabulous and it did not seem to affect the texture at all. I just kept on going....

Dinner is timed so that we sit down to eat right about the time the sun is setting. Both lunch and dinner was out on the veranda/deck. How lovely is that? You can't do that back in Nevada in winter!

For dinner, I made Filet Mignon with a Maple-Balsamic Reduction, Roasted Cherry Tomatoes and Parmesan Potato Croquettes. A recipe from Nadia G, the talented chef from Bitchin' Kitchin' (yes, she really is a culinary-graduated chef, lol). SO yummy! I am attaching links to the recipes so I do not have to write them all down. You, too, can enjoy these great meals at home (she says tongue in cheek)!

Of course, the rest of the scenery needs no explanation......

Today is Sunday and there is more shopping to do. We have food for today's meals but I usually only buy what is needed for each meal so there is really nothing extra here (besides cereal, bread, milk, half'n'half, cream and butter). Lunch today is a Zucchini Quiche served with a side salad. Better than a restaurant!

I will be blogging daily, so hope you'll join me for this cooking vacation-I have my Zen on!

No comments:

Post a Comment