Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sunday, June 20, 2010

I spent most of today studying. This week will be the last week of the wine portion of school. Hard to believe!

Since I spent most of my time studying (except for baking carrot raisin bread), I'll pass on a few tidbits, lol.

Here are a few tips for buying spices: 1. Buy spices whole, not ground. You can purchase a cheap coffee grinder to use just for grinding spices. 2. Don't buy a lot of spice at one time-the spice will lose it's potency before you use it all. 3. Date your spices when you buy them so you know how old they are and can toss them after 12 months.

Fruit ripeness is not a single standard. There are five classes of fruit, each ripening in a different way:

1. Fruits that do not ripen after being picked: berries, cherries, grapes, citrus and watermelon.
2. Fruit that will only ripen after being picked: avocado.
3. Fruits that change color, flavor and texture but do not get any sweeter: apricots, some melons, figs, peaches, nectarines, plums, and persimmons. Store these fruits at room temperature until desiered flavor is achieved.
4. Fruits that get sweeter: apples, pears, kiwis, mangoes and papayas.
5. Fruit that will ripen on or off the tree: bananas.

I have gone over spices, herbs, fruits, grains, vegetables (there are ten classes of vegetables-bet you'd LOVE to hear all about them, lol), and mapped Italy and Spain to get the "big picture" of wine, grapes, terrior, etc, etc, etc. It's been challenging finding a way to study so I can retain/remember all this "stuff"!

I did sit out on the patio and read some of "The Sommelier's Guide to Wine". Just me and the dog (she belongs to Bailey, Carl's daughter). It was cloudy all day so it wasn't so bad staying home and studying.

Almost time for bed. Think of me tomorrow while I take my test! Ciao for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment