Friday, February 28, 2014

Thursday, February 28, 2014

The last day of February! Where DOES the time go?! I awoke to a very cloudy sky, which soon was producing rain-we need it. Since then, it has gone from cloudy to sunny and back to cloudy.

I finally have a set schedule at Gas Lamp. Wednesdays 9AM-4PM, 3pm to ? (close) Thursday through Sunday. On Mondays, I work at GIC (I just can't quite let nursing go all together) and starting next Tuesday, I go back to cooking for my best personal chef client. No days off in the near future. We'll see how long I can carry on with this schedule!

As for Gas Lamp, Danny fired the bartender Wednesday evening. I guess they've had a lot of complaints about her being rude to customers. The owner of another local restaurant came in Wednesday and was told we were closed. Guess he went ballistic! Starting yelling at Danny, Danny yelled at Kerrie, the end result of which Kerrie was let go and the people whom were told we were closed, got fed. Glad I missed that drama. Things were quite subdued Thursday. I have mixed feelings about some of my decisions, although a friend reminded me today that there is drama everywhere. That certainly appears to be true!

I had to tell Gabrielle I could not cater her June wedding. I guess I was reminded Monday evening, when I did a tasting for the bride and groom and both sets of parents, why I don't usually enjoy catering weddings. Shows like Bridezilla tend to put one off on weddings. There are always little changes people want to make to a menu and while I believe that people should get what they want as they are paying for it, the requests sometimes are too much to deal with (we've had several "we were talking and thought "this" would be a nice addition" emails). So, after much thought, I withdrew my bid and let it go. I feel good about that decision-right now, life is just too hectic!

Wednesday, my new baking day, I went in to work at 10am and began dessert making. I switched the Creme Brûlée from coconut creme brûlée to mango creme brûlée. Yum! I found a can of pureed mango, the same type of puree they use to make (east) Indian lassi's. It is an absolutely gorgeous color! I mixed it in to the creme brûlée recipe I use. It baked up nicely in shallow ramekins, then got refrigerated and it's burnt (I mean that in the best, most tasty sense!) sugar-coating will be fired right before service.


Next came the Bourbon Pecan Tart. I've made a link to the Epicurious page the recipe came from. REALLY good and a big seller. I try and make up Pate Sucre dough ahead of time and freeze it so I always have dough available for both the Pecan tart as well as the Apple Gallettes. Makes life easier in the long run!
I had enough gallettes, so just baked up the pecan tart.

We serve this with a scoop of handmade maple ice cream. Are you salivating yet? :-)

It's a friend's birthday today-actually her birthday is February 29th so she only gets to celebrate on the actual day every four years! It's an almond layer cake with a raspberry filling, no frosting, just a dusting of powdered sugar. I'm taking it over to her house this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment