Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Things have settled down a bit at Gas Lamp, although I forgot to add the last and final drama from last week. Our host was stabbed in the back at a party he went to so missed a day or two of work. Apparently he turned enough so that the blade did not hit his lungs. Personally, I think he needs new friends, but that's just me.

Last weekend was busy, as usual. Danny is leaving the restaurant open later and later as compared to his usual close times. We actually seated a Two-top (restaurant speak for table, party of two) at 9:15pm!! "Cal"-surprise! I've just kept my head down and done my job. There are still things to be learned so I will continue working as long as I can. I do like most of the people there.

On my "weekend" (hard to call Monday and Tuesday my weekend, but that is indeed what it is with the schedule we keep at Gas Lamp) I worked at GIC, another long day, but the pay is much better than restaurant work, although not as enjoyable as it once was. Tuesday (yesterday) I spent most of my day cooking for my personal chef client but did not finish all the dishes he had asked for so will have to go back on Thursday (tomorrow) morning and finish up before I go to work at Gas Lamp.

Tuesday morning was International Pancake Day at IHOP (International House of Pancakes). They were giving away buttermilk pancakes, hoping people would contribute to the Children's Miracle Network. An unusual fundraiser, but I like pancakes and Jordan likes a "deal" so off we went! It was ok. I can't remember the last time I went to IHOP!

This morning I went into Gas Lamp only to discover they were deep cleaning the large industrial hood over the cook stoves on the "hot" side of the kitchen. Almost everything was encased in plastic so there was nothing I could do but wait and go back in the afternoon. A loss of hours, but not much to be done. So when I finally did go in at 1pm, I only had time to bake two batches of brownies and make Mango Creme Brûlée. Wednesdays, the menu is a prix fix menu and I am tasked with coming up with new small desserts to serve-all the while working with what is at hand at Gas Lamp. One of the desserts is almost always a brownie sundae, very popular. Today I changed it up and made Chocolate Pots de Creme and Mandarin Oranges with Grand Marnier and Mascarpone. Both very tasty!!


I am off tonight so am going out with a girlfriend-one of my best friends. We are having a glass of wine at "Fine Vines". Fine Vines has "WINOS" night, which stands for Women In Need of Sanity. Very cute! Not much else going on....will catch up later!

No comments:

Post a Comment