Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

I awoke to another cloudy day. There have been spots of clear skies and sun, but I don't think I'm going to get the great tan I was hoping for! It is still possible to have breakfast out on the lanai, even with rain showers. Can't beat the view!


Yesterday was much the same. Not a lot of excitement (I really am NOT on vacation here, no matter what you think). Breakfast and coffee on the lanai. Walk to the store, then make lunch.

Monday's lunch was Green Goddess Salad with Shrimp.


Pretty simple. Green leafy lettuce, sliced cucumber, cherry tomatoes, marinated artichoke hearts, chopped celery and, of course, cooked shrimp. The Green Goddess dressing is made from avocado, buttermilk, a mix of fresh herbs (your choice of mixed herbs), white wine vinegar, anchovy paste, all of which gets blended together in the blender. This recipe is from www.eatingwell.com, so is a lower calorie salad than the original recipe. Just trying to eat healthier!

I did lots of reading yesterday, which is something I have not had time for in Reno. Although it was cloudy, we sat outside in the occasional sun-still trying to get that great tan, lol.

Monday dinner was Beef Kabobs a-top Autumn Vegetable Pilaf.


No skewers to be had, so maybe I shouldn't call these beef kabobs, but they still turned out well under the broiler. Usually I leave the oven door ajar to let out some of the heat, but last night I forgot. It started to get smoky so turned on the vent fan after my friend asked if something was burning. Said friend looked quite worried we would not get dinner! I guess I didn't think anything of it because at Gas Lamp, when we are busy and there is a lot of grilling, etc, it can get smoky and a vent in the roof needs to be opened. You get used to it, or maybe I don't think a little smoke is abnormal. :-)

Dessert was a Strawberry Parfait.


When going to a place, other than your home, to cook for others, you quickly learn to adapt and use whatever is available. It has been a good lesson in improvising and not being dependent on working with a lot of pots, pans, baking sheets, mixers and many of the other equipment I am used to using. I built the parfait in a wine glass using cubed pound cake, sliced strawberries and whipped cream. It's so pretty to see all the layers through the clear glass. Easy peasy as they say!

This morning when I got up, I baked more scones. This time using dried tart cherries and chopped dark chocolate. Oh, my, very yummy!


This time around, I cut them into wedges, a slightly more classic shape for scones, but you are certainly free to bake them up however you like. If you like scones, give these a try. The dough is light and moist, not dry at all. And freshly baked scones out of the oven? Doesn't get much better!

For lunch today, I am serving Pan Bagnat. I bought a baguette, cut it in half, then sliced open one half and pulled out some of the bread to make a hollow space in the baguette. Brush with a little olive oil with garlic, put down a layer of tomatoes, basil and onion that has been marinated in either red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar, then a layer of sliced black olives and a layer of sliced hard boiled eggs. The French also serve this with a layer of tuna. It seems, as with many popular dishes, everyone has their own version of it. This recipe is from Laura Caulder of the Cooking Channel. As I said before, the French sure have a way with food!



And now that I am done with lunch, I am headed out-I see sun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment