Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Wednesday, September 22, 2010


My last day of school today! Still can't believe it! We had no formal lecture today, instead, Chef Lexie talked again about our practical exams tomorrow morning, then covered our written test on Friday. We don't have to be at school until 8am tomorrow, although I will go a little early to get settled in and set up as needed. Friday, we start at 10am with two blind wine tasting. These will not be for extra credit but will count as part of our grade. The written test is 27 pages long and is broken down into three parts: wine, savory and sweet. Unfortunately, we will not get any grades back until the end of October. I did get a 101.5% on last week's exam. They told us today that no class has had the high scores my class has had during this session. Wow! Hard to believe!

I finished my Charlotte today as part of the dessert buffet. I cut the sponge cake rolls, lined my bowl with them, then made a Bavarian to fill it, then chilled it. You can see for yourself how it turned out! We also served the Nougat Glace I made the other day that has been sitting in the freezer. Geoff made a Frangipane and apple filled tart with caramel sauce. Good eating!

It was a day of odd jobs as well as cleaning and setting things up. I set up the table for the 8 chef judges for tomorrow. It had to be a formal setting, so it took some time-a charger, three forks, two spoons, steak knife and dessert fork as well as a water glass and two wine glasses, tablecloths and napkins. A nice diversion for part of the afternoon. Sean made the bread dough, with a little help from yours truly.

We ate lunch late (not sure why, but oh well) today. Lots and lots of food! Our "last meal" so to speak, lol. Arancinette (little fried risotto balls filled with mozzarella)with Caponata (the Italian version of ratatouille), Broccoli Romagna, Grilled Prawns with Marsala, Orecchiette with mushrooms and peas, Roasted Cauliflower Salad and Grilled Lamb. Everything was yummy and we all ate way too much. Collin made french bread, cheese bread rolls and Rye Beer bread. We had two wines today, a Vermentino and a Canonau, both quite good.

I received a call from Carl during school, he fell of a ladder and twisted his ankle. He's having quite a bit of pain, but it does not appear to be broken-according to Dr Woodward, lol. Just some swelling and slight discoloration. I told him to stay off of it, elevate it and ice it, then wrapped his foot and ankle with an ace bandage. Carl does not sit still very well!

I had dinner tonight with my friends in Castle Rock-it was a nice break. I've decided to postpone my Personal Chef class until the spring. I am just too tired and too tired of school to take another course right now. So I will be driving back to Reno next week and staying in Reno until October 4, when I will return to Denver so I can fly out with my classmates on Tuesday, October 5 to Rome.

Anyway, enough for now.......Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment