Friday, September 3, 2010

Friday, September 3, 2010

The hungry hoards were less rabid today,lol. There was a little food left over, not much but some! I made Almond Caramel Coffeecakes as well as putting out a fruit platter, yogurt and a few Bouchee (small puff pastries).

We had our exam today after breakfast as well as a blind wine tasting. I was encouraged by the fact that I guessed the vintage year as well as the varietal. It was a Pinot Noir from Oregon ( Kim w. And I both thought it was Old World because it was so mellow).

We had our "Secret Ingredient" contest. Three teams. Pork was the protien, otherwise they could do whatever they wanted. Unfortunately, all the pork was undercooked, but the winning plate was a salad dressed with vinaigrette and topped with pork medallions and a blue cheese sauce. The other teams did well thigh. Next week is my turn. It will be Becklien and I against Kim and Vanessa. May the best women win!

We had a demo by Chef Dale on making "Franken chicken". You split the whole chicken down the back, then removed the carcass, leaving the entire chicken otherwise intact. You do also remove the wings, pulling then out from inside the body and remove the thigh bone. It was kind of cool! Then you stuff the body with sausage meat, Duxelles (a mix of mushrooms and garlic), and more sausage-flavored differently than the first sausage. Once that is done, put the chicken back together. It made a great lunch!

I left a little early so I could catch my flight to Reno. Hope everyone has a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment