Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Wednesday, September 15, 2010


My last day in bread! Corey and I made French bread, wheat bread, sourdough and panettone. My panettone did not turn out as well as I wanted it to-fresh yeast gave it a distinctive flavor (not bad, just distinctive) and the large loaves I made were undercooked-I pulled them out of the oven too soon! The rest of the bread turned out well though!

Today's lecture was a review of pastry with Chef Lexie. I've added a picture of her-the cute short haired brunette! We all had to talk about our favorite desserts and what pastry components were involved in them. It was a nice review and I think we found out we knew more than we thought we did! We talked about pate brisee, pate sucre and pate sable, royal, custards, meringues and butter creams, cakes and laminated dough, cakes, dessert sauces, petit fours and chocolate.

We also chose a menu from a group of menus copied from each of our projects. After much discussion, we chose Chris's Basque menu. We will still only get about two hours to do this, so it had to be doable in that time frame. We'll be making that menu next Thursday as part of our practical final.

Lunch today was patterned after a French menu. GardMo made an eggplant mousse in tomato pedals. Hot Plate made Braised Veal Short Ribs with Saffron Aoili (a mayonnaise derivative made with garlic but in this case also with saffron). Sean made Poached Peaches set in a toile cookie with a Sabayon sauce. All of it was yummy as usual!

I locked my scooter keys in the "trunk" of my scooter with my helmut. Carl was nice enough to bring me my extra set. I was talking to Collin as he walked bymand just threw my helmut and gloves and keys in together! Not very smart! It all worked out though!

Just a quiet evening at home. Carl is having Internet problems at the B&B so I am posting this on my iPad. A little limiting and I can't post pictures so I'll add them later.

No comments:

Post a Comment