Sunday, July 11, 2010

Saturday, June 10, 2010

I got a call yesterday asking me to come at 8:30am instead of 9am to help with the Martin Yan Kitchen Demo. So up I got at 6:30am to get ready. I had enough time for coffee and then it was time to leave. I had to drive down by the Tech Center, which is about a half hour away. I wasn't sure where I was going so I tried to give myself some extra time.

As I arrived, Martin Yan was getting out of his car. He had flown in from San Francisco for this demo. I learned that he now works for GE, promoting their kitchen products-stoves, wall ovens, microwaves, cooktops, refrigerators, etc. He does a very good job promoting them, lol. He owns six restaurants (down from the 20 or so he used to own). He has made three movies-one with Jackie Chan (he jokes that he only makes movies when he needs money, lol). He also just published his 29th cookbook, which they were giving out to everyone who had signed up to attend this "Celebrity Chef Demo".

Mr. Yan quickly surveyed the kitchen set up, then asked someone to take him to the nearest grocery store-he was changing the menu! As I was the first one of his assistants there, he had me set out supplies, wash the chickens (two whole chickens) and cut up some dried red chili peppers. He arrived back with more chicken and more veggies. Then he set about getting ready. He asked Alta and I about our school, what we had done before going to school (and to me-"why you change? I thought nurses were in high demand?"). Mr Yan also showed Alta and I why he only uses one knife and showed us different cuts. Soon it was time for his demo. He is quite the entertainer! The audience LOVED him! He can bone a complete chiken in less than 18 seconds-amazing to watch! He makes such thin cuts, it's hard to believe but I saw it with my own eyes! Alta and I helped when we could (little Vannas, lol). We learned a lot just by watching and listening. He is such a nice man! He invited us to go on a China Culinary trip when we finish school. He thinks people cal learn a lot from the way the Chinese eat. He says he has not gained a pound in 30 years!!! He also says children need to eat more vegetables. He says the way Chinese parents get children to eat their vegetables is to put the protein and vegetables together (as in a stir-fry). Very interesting man. Alta and I both got a book from Mr Yan! He signed them both and in mine wrote-"To April, She is good in April, better in May and awesome in June." In Alta's book he wrote "To Alta-A woman with good taste and style." He says he is going to send us one of his knives-free! We'll see, lol.

Once I was done with the demos-(he did two, one in the morning and one in the afternoon) I picked Jordan up at the airport. He is here for the weekend. We drove to Boulder and he showed me around. Jordan used to live in Boulder. We had a drink at The Briarwood Inn, then dinner at PastaJay's, an Italian restaurant that opened in Boulder in the 1980's. Very good food.

We got home at almost midnight only to find there was no place to park!! We ended up parking a block and a half away from the B&B! Oh, well......

No comments:

Post a Comment