Friday, July 16, 2010

Friday, July 16, 2010

Alta picked me up early today and we studied for a while before it was time to set up. We then set up for the day and went over things in "GardeMo".

Then it was time for the quiz. I still need work on product ID-I missed fresh chervil (I have to admit I don't think I've ever even seen fresh chervil or summer savory)and confused green peppercorns with capers. Bummer! I think I did ok on the rest of the test, although I thought that LAST week (that I did better than I actually did).

GardeMo was fun today! We made a Terrine (a fancy meatloaf, lol) of ground pork butt with the fat left on the cut of meat, duck livers and onions wrapped in bacon. We used the Combi Oven (this oven is part regular oven, part convection oven, you can dial in moisture when you bake, it has an awesome timer-it just doesn't do dishes, lol) to bake them (they are usually baked in a Bain Marie or water bath). With what was left over of our duck livers, we made pate flavored with sauteed apples, onions, mushrooms, butter and brandy. It was yummy! We roasted beets and oven-dried quartered Roma tomatoes. They were flavored with olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme and oregano. Once they cooled off, we put them in a Cambro and covered them with olive oil. They should last a week or two in the walk-in. They school goes thru a LOT of supplies! This was a much less stressful day than usual-and no lectures!

Chef Lexie reviewed our instructions for a menu project that is due two weeks before graduation. We will need to come up with a type of business (hopefully, she says, a business we would be interested in after we finish with school), a business plan, menu, staffing, costing, supplies, kitchen supplies, etc. Lots of work!

A late lunch again. GardeMo served an arugala salad dressed with vinegerette, oranges, roasted beets and blue cheese. Hot Plate served Pan Seared Halibut in Tomato Fennel Broth with Potato Gnocchi. Dessert was a scoop of Dark Chocolate Ice Cream laced with Brandied Cherries, a scoop of Apricot Ice Cream with Chocolate Covered Cherries on the side. Pastry also made three types of bread-French Bread, a Tomato Herb Bread and an Onion Cheddar Bread. I love bread, lol! I was the Winier today. We had a 2008 Taburni Domus Falanghina from Campania. I had to go thru an evaluation of the wine, the region, and how it paired with our lunch.

I hope this will be a quiet weekend...I could use the rest! Paula and I are not going out tonight-she has a leg infection so is staying home to rest. Tomorrow I am thinking of taking a drive to Evergreen. The bottle of port I bought there was unfortunately "corked" (something happening during production that caused it to go bad) so I am going to take it back. Then in the evening I am going to Kim and Eric's house in Castle Rock for dinner. It is always nice to see them. I have the weekend off from cooking any breakfast at the B&B, so it should be a relaxing weekend. Sunday, Paula and I are going to the South Pearl Street Farmer's Market and out to lunch. Hopefully she will feel better by then!

No comments:

Post a Comment