Saturday, June 23, 2012

Saturday, June 23, 2012

I changed my personal chef day to Wednesday this week because of working my nursing job. It was nice of my client to let me do that!

This week's dessert was Sticky Toffee Pudding, an English dessert that is made up of dates and flour (and a few other things) that is baked in a cake pan. Once it is done baking, you pour a sauce (made up of cream, butter and brown sugar) over the top the cake and put it back in the oven under a broiler. The sauce bubbles up and caramelizes the top of the cake and the extra liquid turns it into a pudding. Yum!

This week's menus were Lancashire Cheese and Onion pie (another English dish); a BLT Steak Salad; Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Pineapple-Mango Salsa and a Strawberry and Candied Pecan Salad;



Almond Crusted Chicken and Nectarine Salad with Buttermilk-Chive Dressing; Garbanzo Bean and Zucchini Salad; Chicken, Green Bean, Corn and Farro Salad with Goat Cheese;



Italian Flat Bread with Fontina and Proscuitto; Shredded Pork Summer Rolls and Eggplant Gratin. Makes even ME hungry going back over these menus, lol!

As for my nursing job, it's been nice working with other nurses again, especially since I've been a worker bee and don't have to worry about managing staff. I only work when they need extra help, so my schedule is not set. I'm ok with that. And the extra money is nice!

I was approached by one of the local physician groups to provide healthy lunch meals to their staff. The group is launching a healthy lifestyle program and want to provide affordable lunches for the people who want them. The CFO is the one who came up with six week's worth of menus along with the recipes. She did most of the work. They asked that I deliver the meals for $5 each. I am willing to try it for a few weeks, but I told her I did need to make money on this venture, not just cover my costs with groceries and, of course, my time. I think the cause is a worthy one, so I am willing to give it a try for six weeks. We'll see if their staff stays interested in the program. I did ask for a minimum of 10 people on the three days during the week I'll be providing meals. We'll see....

My sister and brother-in-law made it safely to Portland, Oregon. My sister, Corie, is very impressed by the lush, green the environment. A new start for them-I hope it works out well for them.

Today, I've given myself the task of making my own puff pastry. I am going to use Jacques Pepin's recipe. It seems simple enough, albeit time consuming (the chief complaint with puff pastry-not complicated but time consuming). I will then compare the handmade puff pastry with store-bought puff pastry to see how different they taste.

I made shortbread cookies earlier today. I'm thinking of dipping them in chocolate when they've cooled enough to cut. And I am putting my bread machine to use by making Oatmeal bread. The recipe is on the back of Bob's Red Mill Rolled Oats. It looked interesting, so I filled the machine's inner container with the ingredients and let the bread machine do the rest! I usually make Jim Lahey's No Knead bread (mine and Jordan's favorite). It takes very little work to make and is such a lovely, crusty bread. The weather has taken a cooler turn so today seemed a good baking day.

Until next time......

No comments:

Post a Comment