Tuesday, May 7, 2013

May 7, 2013

It is cold and rainy here in northern Nevada. A good day to stay indoors and nap or read a book. Instead of doing those things, I worked. Can't complain about having a job though!


I started working at Big Horn Olive Oil Company, right up the road. It really is a fun job, and I think we all need a little more fun in life! The shop is owned by Mercedes Burkavage. She calls Big Horn her "retirement condo in Florida". She has always wanted to own her own shop and here she is. Big Horn has been open about seven months and it is doing well. She encourages people to come to her "tasting room" to try not only olive oil, but also the balsamic vinegars she carries. I think of it as an adult candy store. As I wander around the shop, I see all the possibilites these oils and balsamics give me to experiment with flavors. Big Horn olive oils and balsamics really do taste great! And just in case you think I "drank the koolaid", try it for yourself-you'll be amazed. Mercedes calls it educating people, not selling products. Makes sense to me!

I am still working as a personal chef, planning and cooking weekly. Next week I have two catering jobs. One a corporate dinner, the other a graduation party for one of my sister's friends. She wanted pasta with three different sauces (so far so good), a salad, and a few appetizers. Ok, I'm there. They wanted to get a cake from the store, but I said I could bake a chocolate cake with chocolate or mocha frosting. Then came the surprise--"Could you make the cake in the shape of a book?" I can't say I'm a big fan of fancy theme cakes. I'd rather leave it to the Cake Boss! I went online looking for book shaped cakes and found a bundle of them! Who'da thunk?! Her daughter is an English Lit major, so that's where the books come in. Wilton has a pan in the shape of a book, and since it was inexpensive, I ordered it. I saw cakes that were stacks of books and open books. And you can pick any theme you want. Only thing is, the cakes are all covered in fondant. Fondant will hide the chocolate, but I think that will be ok. I'll be working on writing with frosting also, as soon as they left me know what they want the cake to say. I'll be stretching my baking skills with this one, although I'm trying not to psych myself out over this. There are some AMAZING cakes out there!!

My neice's wedding is coming up quickly-June 1. I am flying back to Chicago to cater her wedding (of 250 people, lol). My gift to her and her fiancee. The menu is done and approved. I am flying out a week before the wedding to make sure everything gets done. She is having a dessert bar rather than a big wedding cake. I will make a regular sized layer cake for the bride and groom to cut (chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting--and maybe some strawberries in the frosting). I'll be sure to take pictures and post them later. Wow!! lots coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment