Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The days here in Maui have been flying by! It is difficult to admit that on Saturday it is time to head home. But I won't dwell on that-isn't it more important to live in the moment? Life is definitely too short to do otherwise.

This is the second week of my Coursera Nutrition for Health and Wellness through the University of California0San Francisco. The instructor, Katie, added a short introduction video to the second week that said over 24,000 (!!!) people have signed on to this course, from over 100 countries around the world. On the discussion board, many people introduced themselves, and said they hoped to improve their English. It seems hard enough to learn nutrition in English, that I can't imagine trying to learn it in a foreign language! Learning new things daily is a good thing, though.

Tuesday morning we ate some of the zucchini muffins I made Monday evening (after the stuffed zucchini dinner). And of course, coffee. Starbucks. Has to be my favorite brand of coffee.

Tuesday's lunch was a Chickpea Salad. Chickpeas (canned: drained and rinsed well), diced yellow bell pepper, sliced green onions, diced tomatoes, diced celery, all tossed with a balsamic vinaigrette. Very healthy, vegan as well as good tasting. Nothing against any of the vegetarians or vegans out there, but I guess I still like a little meat in my diet. I guess you can take the girl out of Wisconsin, but you can't take Wisconsin out of the girl. Wisconsin-dairy state, lots of cows!

Tuesday afternoon we went to the Kapalua beach near the Ritz-Carlton Hotel. Not many people seem to go to this beach, other than surfers and people with dogs. It is a beautiful beach! It is often windy though as it open to trade winds blowing (which also whips up sand so on a windy day you sometimes feel like you are being sandblasted! Good for a natural dermabrasion, lol?). There were whales playing out in the water. One actually jumped out of the water while we were watching! I don't know about you, but I thought that was way cool! Whales are such magnificant creatures. taking a picture with my iPhone does not do justice to some of the sights here on Maui.


After we came back from the beach, I started dinner (early). I made Beef Bourginon (Laura Caulder's recipe, not Julia Child's). The beef needed two hours roasting in the oven in a wonderfully fragrant sauce of beef stock, red wine, onions and carrots and garlic, as well as a small bouqet garni. The end result was a darkly rich sauce with a garni of onions (alas, no small round/boiling onions were to be found in the Maui market), mushrooms and bacon (bacon makes SO many things taste absolutely divine!). And we finally had that cheesecake for dessert!
I was going to leave the cheesecake plain on top (I can be a purist when it comes to cheesecake!) but Grace Parisi put jam on top of her little cheesecakes.....I didn't have raspberry or strawberry jam but I DID have guava jelly! So I heated a little of it in the microwave then poured it on top of the cheesecake before I put it in the refrigerator to chill. It looked gorgeous with that red-orange color on top. And most importantly, the cheesecake tasted good (yeah!).

Wednesday (today) we went out to breakfast at Maui Fish & Pasta. Doesn't sound like a good place for breakfast by the name, but they serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. I may sound like a snob, but I can cook a better breakfast. And they have the worst coffee! Too bad... But, I always like going out to breakfast, so no complaining!

Lunch was leftover Ribolita soup, pear slices wrapped in serano ham, Manchego cheese and crackers. I am trying to use up the food that is left. No sense wasting food! It's been raining off and on, sprinkles really but as the sun is out again, I am heading outside to catch some rays before they go behind the clouds again! Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment