Saturday, December 22, 2012

Saturday, December 22, 2012

It is snowing as I write this and has been snowing all day! It is quite pretty, but I must say, I'm happy there is no where I need to be!


It is also hard to believe Christmas is almost here. The world did not end yesterday as predicted, and so life goes on.

And reflecting back on this year, I have much to be thankful for this holiday season--a home, a job, food on the table, family and friends who love me, clothes to wear and so many other things.

I have been working as a nurse quite a bit this month, driving to Carson City several times a week (about a 28 mile drive one way). My employer started reimbursing mileage for those who are filling in in Carson (they had four people go out for various reasons all at the same time!) so that helps cover the cost of gas.

On a cooking note, I am back to making meals for my biggest personal chef client (who just returned to Reno after spending three week in Hawaii).

I spent Monday, the 17th, cooking and baking. Menu offerings for this past week were
Pan-Seared Steaks for Herb Sauce, Mashed Potatoes and Honey-Glazed Carrots; Roasted Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Proscuitto and Fontina, White Rice and Green Beans with Bacon and Hazelnuts;
Shrimp with Toasted Couscous and Ginger-Orange Sauce; Roasted Pumpkin-Apple Soup;
Butter Roasted Chicken with Roasted Vegetables; Rice and Lentil Salad (I used black lentils, which ended up being a lovely contract to the white basmati rice);
Spaghetti alla Carbonara and for this week's dessert--Bourbon-Pecan Tart. Yum!









I have also been a maniac, baking holiday cookies every day. I decided to give them as gifts this year. I found gift boxes from Martha Stewart on sale at Michael's last week and ended up getting four types of packaging for just %15.00. Usually that type of packaging goes for about $10 a package so I feel very fortunate to have found them on sale!

Sitting here today and looking at all the cookie recipes I still would like to bake (I am trying a lot of new recipes), I figure I need to either stop, or figure out a way to make money doing this! Of course when you give away cookies, people love it (and that's a good thing) but I still need to think of a way to make a living doing this. Ah, yes.....Dorie Greenspan I am not, lol.

Here's my next cookie project:
Giant Ginger Cookies

Yield: twenty-five 4-inch cookies
Bake 350°F 12 mins to 14 mins per batch

Ingredients
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups shortening
2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup molasses
3/4 cup coarse sugar or granulated sugar

Directions

1. In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt; set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl beat shortening with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds to soften. Gradually add the 2 cups granulated sugar. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs and molasses. Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour mixture.
3. Shape dough into 2-inch balls using 1/4 cup dough. Roll balls in the 3/4 cup coarse or granulated sugar. Place about 2-1/2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
4. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 12 to 14 minutes or until cookies are light brown and puffed. (Do not overbake or cookies will not be chewy.) Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool. Store in a tightly covered container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.

I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment