Monday, September 10, 2012

Monday, September 10, 2012

Well, we are finally moved in to our rental house. There are still boxes sitting around, but for the most part, the living room and dining room and most of the kitchen are put together. I guess you need to live in a space for a bit before realizing what looks good here or there.

Labor Day, Jordan and I had dinner with friends. It was a lovely evening to eat outside. And I didn't have to cook!

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday I worked in my nursing job. The days were complicated by going from nursing to cooking two of those days. I could not do all of my personal chef cooking after working all day so had to split the cooking up. The meals have been fairly simple the last several weeks as I did not have the availability of baking at home. Thank goodness my client was sympathetic! I did manage to make a Pecan Bourbon Tart dispite the lack of proper pans.


Friday morning I went shopping to buy all that I needed for the Farm to Table dinner I was cooking for. Our friends Jan and Jim own a ranch right on the Nevada California border. It is just beautiful out there. The weather was lovely with little wind (Nevada is famous for it's gusty winds). And folks seemed to have a great time and enjoyed the food. Here is our menu (which we will repeat this coming Saturday):

Appetizers: Gazpacho
Cowboy Gourgeres (Parmesan Chive Biscuits with a slice of ham)
Corn, Avocado and Tomato Salad with Cilantro Vinaigrette
Proscuitto Melon Skewers with Basil Oil Drizzle

Surpirse Cocktail: Limoncello Collins

Entree: Tuscan Roasted Pork Loin
Roasted Rosemary Fingerling Potatoes
Southern Italian Ratatouille
Asiago Risotto (as a vegetarian option)
Focaccia bread

Dessert: Frozen Watermelon Lime Bars (Yum!)
Assorted Pastries: Blackberry Almond Tea Cakes, Pear and Ginger Mini-Cheesecakes, Apricot Walnut Tarts, Bittersweet Chocolate-Orange Truffles, and Pineapple Empanadas.

All I can say is that a good time was had by all! We decided to do two Farm to Table dinners this year. We'll see about next year, lol. I had some great help--my sister and a friend of mine, Diane. We had wait staff that served for us, the tables were set with white linen tablecloths and napkins, lovely dinnerware, wine and water goblets, and twinkling lights under the grape arbor on the patio. Jan and Jim really do have a nice ranch (it has been around since 1862!). No pictures to show so I will have to take some this next time. We are making a few minor changes to the dinner routine but I guess we learn each time we do these dinners.

Tomorrow I will be back to nursing and the next day a personal chef job. I do believe that life is settling back down (thank goodness!).

No comments:

Post a Comment