Sunday, November 28, 2010

Sunday, November 28, 2010


Another sunny day in paradise! I slept in just a little, skipped breakfast, then had lunch at the bar of the Lobster Grill. When you sit at the bar, you look out over the pool then out at the Caribbean and the island of St Thomas. Amazing-it's so beautiful. I took a walk on the beach, then had to get ready for work. I met Janee, the executive chef, in the kitchen. I also met Jesse and Drew who are line cooks (both culinary grads) and old Willie (he's 70 and still working!). After that, Janee gave me a tour of of the kitchen (Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore...). Not even close to what we are used to in the States. A good sized kitchen although everything is kind of old and apparently things break easily down here. I also got a tour of Iggie's, a smaller kitchen but a little newer equipment. Then on to the warehouse. The resort has a purchasing director and they pull from their own supplies rather than totally depending on a supplier tomsend them everything at the last minute. Everyone so far has a been very friendly and nice.

Once the tour was over, Janee had me make some Avocado-Corn Salsa (3/4 of a green pepper, 1/2 a red pepper, 1/2 onion, 1 tomato, deseeded and 3 small avocados. Small dice all of them, then add key lime juice, salt, pepper, granulated garlic and cumin to taste. Serve with fish or protein ofnyour choice.). It turned out well, I think. After that, she went over the new menu she worked up. It premieres in two weeks. It's the first new menu have had in at least two years, so they are very excited. They are serving some of the new dishes as specials until that time. I also worked hot line and the appetizer stations today. I have lots to learn! We finished service at 9am, then made outnown dinners (or rather Janee made me stuffed pork tenderloin then we added mashed potatoes and broccoli. Janee told me that the natives eat very few vegetables, mostly starches. Very interesting....

We cleaned the kitchen before our day was done so the morning crew would have a clean space to work in. I walked out to the bar to ask for plastic silverware and Harry and Denise (the restaurant manager) felt I needed an alcohol drink after my long day in the kitchen,lol. Besides silverware, I left with a rum punch. Yeah!!

Then back to my room to shower, then eat (hot work in the kitchen) and talk with Jordan. Now I think it's time to get some sleep. I will be working the 2-10pm shift. This week I have Tuesday and Sunday off. So far, so good!

The picture is one I took Saturday as I walked around the grounds. I was walking away from the Lobster Grille toward Iggie's Beach Bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment