Friday, November 26, 2010

Friday, November 26, 2010


I'm back! I had a very nice Thanksgiving with Jordan, my sisters Janell and Michele-her husband, Mark and son, Dylan and my mom, who is spending the winter in LA. I have been a little apprehensive about coming out here the last week or so. I think I just wanted to stay in one place for a while. Excited but nervous at the same time. Today, I flew out of LAX to come out to St Thomas, and here I am!

I took American Airline and we landed in Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas at 9:15pm. I collected my luggage (two large bags, with two carry-ons) then got a taxi out to Bolongo Bay. I was in a taxi with about 8 other people going to different places. We had dropped off about half the taxi when they had a black out over most of the island. I'm not sure if this is a regular occurrence or not! It sure gets dark around here!! Thankfully, Bolongo and most of the other resorts have generators. I was greeted with a rum punch and everyone so far has been sooooo nice. Everyone was told I was coming so have been introducing themselves to me. I met Janee (ja nay), the executive chef here. She is also a cook street grad. She said I will be working with her, doing banquets, pantry and baking bread. "Fun stuff"! I am excited. My room is off the hotel lobby in what they call the cheaper section, at least for tonight. Not sure where I will end up long term.

I will give you all a full report tomorrow. I did, however, get something to eat at Iggie's Beach Bar after I checked in. Sitting in the outdoor restaurant/bar, listening to live music, looking out over the bay with the surf rolling up on the sandy beach, WOW! Can't believe this will be "home" for the next four months.

The picture is 007, one of the bartenders at the Lobster Grille. He got his name because he likes Sean Connory and James Bond, lol. At least that's the short version!

www.bolongobay.com

1 comment:

  1. Hi! April,
    It sounds like a great adventure you are on! Hope you have a great internship, and find your dream "job"! Hope to see you in the first or 2nd weekend of next October for our WSH reunion that we are starting to plan!
    Take care!
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete