Sunday, January 13, 2013

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Happy New Year! (Just a little late, lol)

I never cease to be amazed at how quickly time flies. Life often seems to just happen, which means you have to work to remember what is important in life.

We have had so many winter storms here that we spent Christmas at home rather than trying to drive to LA to spend it with my sisters and my mom. The snow is beautiful but SO cold! (I know, duh, that's obvious, but winters in Reno have been very mild.)




New Years Eve Jordan and I had dinner at Gas Lamp, one of our favorite restaurants, then headed over to the Grand Sierra to ring in the new year. Jordan is not so enthralled with Christmas, but he loves New Years. It is exciting to be with a large group of people when midnight strikes but then I'm ready to go home!

I have been cooking the last few weeks for my personal chef client who is back from Maui, which is always a pleasure. Dishes like Bruchetta with Peppers and Gorgonzola, Lamp Chops withPomegrate and Dried Fig Relish, Roasted Squash, Stuffed Chicken Divan with Sherry Dijon Sauce, Aubergine Caviar (Eggplant), Pecan Rice Pilaf, Savory Chicken Pot Pies, Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Aged Cheddar, Pancetta and Sauteed Leeks, Cavatelli Pasta with Sweet Sausage, Roasted Peppers and Raisins, Balsamic Marinated Pork Tenderloin with Roasted Grapes (truly a treat if you have never tried roasting grapes),


Filet Mignon Drizzled with a Maple Balsamic Reduction, Sweet Roasted Cherry Tomatoes and Parmesan Potato Crochettes, Tuscan Roasted Chicken and Vegetables,
Acorn Squash Stuffed with Chard and White Beans, Leek and Goat Cheese tart, Panko Shrimp with Strawberry Aioli, Minestrone soup, and Cochon Butcher's Muffaletta. Desserts were Walnut Pear Sour Cream Cake and
Chocolate Cream Cake (no flour, can you believe it?!). All yummy dishes!

I have also been trying some new recipes. Last week I made a Spiced Cranberry Cake. I had wanted to make it for Christmas but made so many Christmas cookies, it didn't seem like a good idea to add to all those cookies I had made (even though most of them went to friends for Christmas gifts). I had read about this type of cake (ok, I admit I have a weakness for cozy mysteries with recipes) a few months ago so searched for a recipe for it. Dorie Greenspan had just the recipe I was looking for. And the secret of this wonderful cake? Chinese five-spice! It truly was a great cake. I will add it to my list of recipes if anyone else would like to try it.
I made a carrot cake tonight (the recipe is from Rachel Allen. She has a cooking show on the BBC and the Cooking Channel. She makes it as a loaf cake but I made a six inch double layer cake. Her cream cheese frosting is to die for, I much admit. 9 ounces of cream cheese, 1/4 cup of softened butter, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 10 ounces of confectioners sugar and the zest of one orange. YUM! It was also the first time (since culinary school) that I have baked using weight alone for all my ingredients (except liquids). It was easier than I remember and they (the pastry chef they) say it is the most accurate way to bake to get the best results.


Once I finished the cake, I started in making Key Lime Coolers (ccokies). I was shopping last week and saw Key limes for sale in a one pound bag. You don't often see Key limes in Reno, so I grabbed them while I could. I found a recipe for Key Lime Coolers while reading the coffeehouse mysteries by Cleo Coyle (Alice Alfonso who writes under that name with her husband, Mark). I have gotten a few really good recipes from her website (more cozy mysteries, lol). These cookies use the zest and the juice of Key limes, although you can substitute regular limes if you cannot find Key limes.

Key Lime Coolers

Ingredients:
Cookies:
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt
2 tsp Key lime zest*
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp Key lime juice

For Sugar-dusting:
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
2 tsp Key lime zest

*Note: If you can’t find Key limes, simply substitute the more common (Persian) limes for this recipe. The tart flavor will be less intense, but the cookies will still taste delicious.

Warning: Lime juice may curdle your butter so follow this recipe's directions. Do not add the lime juice to the dough until the end of the mixing process.

Directions: First preheat your oven to 325° F. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Blend in the vanilla extract, salt, and lime zest.
Add the flour and baking powder, and mix very briefly until a shaggy dough forms.
Now add your lime juice and mix until a smooth dough comes together, but do not over-mix or your cookies will be tough instead of tender.

Roll the dough into balls about one inch in diameter.
Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. cookies are done when bottoms are slightly browned. Note that cookies are fragile while warm, so handle with care.

To finish, mix 1⁄2 cup confectioners’ sugar with 2 teaspoons lime zest in a shallow bowl. While cookies are still warm, gently roll them, one at a time, in the bowl of sugar and lime zest.
After all the cookies are coated, finish by sprinkling any remaining sugar-lime mixture over the cookie tops.

Store cooled cookies in an airtight plastic container. They also freeze extremely well.

Thanks for the recipe, Cleo!

No comments:

Post a Comment