Thursday, November 1, 2012

November 1, 2012

I worked every day in October (save two days) at GI Consulting. I took advantage of the fact that they were short-handed. You take advantage of work when you can and be thankful you have a job when so many people do not.

Because of nursing work, however, my cooking time suffered some this month. Good thing my main personal chef client is so flexible! It took me 2-3 days sometimes to finish all the recipes on the menu.

I also spent a lot of time caring for Jordan. He had sinus surgery a week and a half ago and had complications that kept him in the hospital for two days. A most stressing time.. He is now much improved, and sent me off to Denver on a trip I had planned a month ago.

As I write this, I am in Denver, a sort of mini-vacation. I am staying at Capitol Hill Mansion Bed & Breakfast, the same B&B I lived at while in culinary school in 2010. I met some great people here and try to get back here when I can to visit. Since I am using my iPad to write this, I can't add any pictures so I'll have to come back and add some later. Google is not very iPad friendly!

I got into Denver early Tuesday evening. I put my bags in my room (Carl leaves notes on the outside door for people checking in so he doesn't have to stay home 24/7), then walked 6-7 blocks to a Capitol Hill area restaurant called Potager. It is one of my favorite restaurants to eat at. They use all local ingredients and change the menu every month to focus on produce that is available at the time. The food is always good!

The only problem with coming during the week is that friends are all working, so I have been amusing myself with touring the Molly Brown house (yes, the famous Unsinkable Molly Brown that survived the sinking of the Titanic used to live in Denver!) and with helping out where I can at the B&B.

I baked chocolate chip cookies this morning-my favorite cookies to make. the cookies I made here don't quite look like the cookies I make in Reno. The high altitude plays a role in that, although I tried to adjust for the altitude. I plan on making Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls this afternoon, or at least start them. If I get them all mixed and cut, I can put them in the cooler for a slow rise overnight and Carl can bake rhem off in the morning. He has pretty much given me permission to do whatever I like. Gotta love a man who lets you do whatever you want, lol. And, of course, he benefits, as do his guests.

I found out yesterday, that Kim's husband is in the hospital from complications after having his gallbladder out. I went to culinary school with Kim. It would seem that many people are having difficulties. I hope I get to see her while I am here!

I'll let you know what other adventures I find in Denver. Tomorrow I plan on going to work with Cris, another culinary schoolmate, who works in a cafe. He plans on putting me to work! It is always fun to learn and to try new things. I'll let you know how I do, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment